Partnership Visa: What You Need to Know

Andrea, Warrick and the kids walking together

As you would know, the Partnership based visa category is always a tricky one. Unfortunately, getting married doesn’t meet the requirements of the “Partner” in New Zealand’s Immigration Policy. To help CCR assess your case for partnership visas to assist us to help reunite families, some of the information required can be found below.

Requirements for Partnership Visa

In a partnership-based visa application, it is vital that you will be able to show Immigration New Zealand that you have evidence of living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship. Processing of a partnership visa will undergo procedures such as assessing the kind of relationship that you and your partner have, providing concrete pieces of evidence of your partnership, determining the reasons of you living apart from each other, and examining the background of your partner as a citizen or worker in New Zealand. As for the visa processing fee, it varies depending on what kind of visa you’re applying for.

1. Assessing Partnership

When Immigration New Zealand assess if you meet its partnership requirements, it will look at things like:

  • How long you’ve been together
  • How long you’ve been living together as a couple
  • Your living arrangements
  • Whether you support each other financially
  • How you share financial responsibilities
  • How committed you are to a life together
  • Whether you own property together and/or share your property
  • Any children you have together, including your arrangements for their care
  • Whether you share everyday household tasks
  • Whether other people recognise your relationship.

Living together means sharing the same home as your partner. Remember that this does not include spending time in each other’s homes while you each maintaining your home, sharing accommodation while on holiday or having flatmate arrangements.

2. Evidence of Partnership

You and your partner must provide enough evidence to show Immigration New Zealand that you’re living together in a genuine and stable relationship.


Usually, these pieces of evidence may include any of the following:

  • Marriage or civil union certificates
  • Birth certificates for any children you share
  • Cards, letters, emails and social media conversations
  • Photos together
  • Evidence that others recognise your relationship
  • Evidence you make decisions and plans together
  • Evidence you parent together (if you have children)
  • Evidence you spend leisure time together
  • A joint rental agreement or home loan
  • Mail addressed to you together at the same place and time
  • Joint bank accounts
  • Evidence you own assets together
  • Joint credit cards or hire purchase agreements
  • Joint utilities accounts, like power or phone bills

If you are married, you must provide legal documents proving your marriage. This might be easier to verify the validity of your partnership since you are providing a valid certificate confirming your union. For those who are not married but already living together, other choices stated above can help you establish your partnership.

3. Time Spent Living Apart

If you and your partner have spent time living apart, you should provide information about your separation, including:

  • The reasons you were living apart
  • How long you were living apart
  • How you kept in touch while apart
  • Immigration New Zealand will use any evidence you provide about your separation to assess its effect on your partnership

4. Your Partner’s Background as a New Zealand Resident/New Zealand Citizen

If you apply for a visa based on your partnership with a New Zealand citizen or resident, your supporting partner will need to meet character requirements. If he or she has any convictions for domestic violence or sexual offences within seven years before your application, it might cause a problem to your visa application.


Your partner may need to provide police certificates to be able to support your visa application. If your partner has some conviction, then she or he will need a character waiver.

How can CCR help you?

We can work with you to accumulate all of the evidence required for all types of visas, this includes both Accredited Employer applications and Partnership visa applications for your staff and their families. We have Licensed Immigration Advisers that are equipped with the professional responsibilities necessary to ensure a positive outcome with any immigration query you may have. We will have further news regarding the costs and INZ Fees associated with each type of application once we have further updates from Immigration New Zealand. Get in touch with us at any time if you have questions regarding these visa processes or any other concerns you may have.




* indicates required

Need Help?

Contact one of our representative

Edit Template
CCR Group is a dedicated, full-service employment, recruitment and human resource company servicing hundreds of businesses across many countries.
Cross Country Solutions provides outsourcing services to support all our services.

Resource Hub | Contact us: +64 7 974 9101 | Facebook Page | FAQ

© CCR Group Ltd. 2024 – All rights reserved | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Website built by: